Welcome to University of Virginia’s Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. Our office was established in 2012 to serve the needs of the University's Postdoctoral Research Associates and Fellows. The work of the office reflects our institutional commitment to enhancing the Postdoctoral experience.
Our office assists postdocs with preparation, training, planning, and decision-making for professional pursuits within and beyond academe by offering seminars and workshops, advising services, web resources, and other resource referrals that advance their professional development. The office also reviews policies concerning Postdoctoral trainees at UVA and recommends changes for improvement.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is responsible for numerous activities that involve the education, training, and support for all University Postdocs and serves University-wide in the following roles and responsibilities:
- Provide professional and career development programming and resources for Postdocs
- Identify and support initiatives to increase visibility of Postdocs
- Facilitate social/networking events and assist in community building among Postdocs
- Supports departments and schools in recruitment efforts and HR/benefits issues
- Counsel Postdocs with respect to job search efforts, funding opportunities, UVA policies and practices, housing, and life in Charlottesville and the US
We hope to be both a starting point for identifying resources available to you as well as a resource during your postdoctoral training so that your time is rewarding and productive as possible. We encourage you to explore and use this website and contact our office if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming Postdoc event!
Phillip Trella, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President for Graduate Studies
Beth J. Beal
Graduate Studies Programs Administrator
Program Support Staff