During your time at the University, we encourage you to take advantage of the extensive intellectual and social opportunities that exist in Central Virginia.
Charlottesville and Albemarle County are frequently recognized by national organizations for their rich history, quality of life, intellectual opportunities, and natural beauty. Listed below are just a few of the accolades the region has received:
- Cities Ranked and Rated: No. 1 Place to Live in the United States and Canada
- Money Magazine: Best Places to Live
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance: No. 2 Healthiest Place to Live in America
- Men's Journal: No. 3 Healthiest Small City to Live in America
- Reader's Digest: Top Ten Places in the Country to Raise a Family
- Tennis Magazine: No. 1 Best Tennis Town
- Life Magazine: The Best New Place to Drink Wine
The City of Charlottesville maintains a complete list of the region’s awards and recognition. The University also provides an extensive collection of web resources on U.Va. and the surrounding communities.
In addition, the U.Va. Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR) produces the Graduate Guide which contains a lot of information that will be useful for postdocs settling into life at UVa.