The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs’ mission is to develop a sense of community for postdoctoral fellows, assist postdocs with preparation for professional pursuits within and beyond academe, and offer support for departments and schools in recruitment efforts and HR/benefits issues. The OGPA hosts professional training workshops and social events throughout the year.
New postdocs should attend a UVA HR Grounds for Success orientation as soon as possible upon arrival, and must enroll in health insurance within 30 days of your start date.
In addition, as a first step in welcoming postdocs to our community, OGPA offers an orientation tailored specifically for new postdocs. While this orientation does not replace any required School or Human Resources orientation sessions, it serves to connect new postdocs with resources and individuals that will be most helpful during their time at UVA and in Charlottesville. The 90-minute orientation contains the following information:
- 45-minute presentation regarding the numerous resources for postdocs at UVA. Representatives from OGPA and our partners across UVA will discuss
- Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (OGPA) services
- UVA’s unique PhDPlus program of career development through short courses, workshops, and career counseling
- Library services: health sciences, social sciences, engineering and biomedical sciences
- IT services
- International student services
- Tax and immigration compliance services
- Postdoctoral Association – a group which organizes social gatherings for postdocs and their families
- Brief information about UVA and Charlottesville
- 45-minute presentation by a Benefits Counselor from UVA Human Resources, regarding health insurance and other benefits. There is ample opportunity to ask questions.
View Resources Document for Incoming Postdocs (PDF format)