The University of Virginia is home to a vibrant community of more than 450 postdoctoral researchers and scholars whose work is critical for sustaining excellence and vitality in research, teaching, and service.
UVA postdocs are competitive for national and international fellowships and honors. Research symposia and events bring postdoctoral fellows and associates together from across Grounds. We are redefining the collegiate research university with cutting edge science and scholarship in the most historic of settings at UVA. Talent is coming from across the world to train and become the next generation of world leaders in research and innovation. $330 million in annual research funding across 11 schools contributes to a world-class environment for exploration and discovery.
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs
The staff of the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (OGPA) assists postdocs with preparation for professional pursuits within and beyond academe by offering seminars and workshops, advising services, and web resources that advance professional development. The office also reviews policies concerning postdoctoral trainees at UVA and recommends changes for improvement.
Highlights of the support offered for postdocs, faculty, and administrators include:
- Professional and career development programming and resources for postdocs
- Initiatives to increase the visibility of postdocs across the University
- Support for the recruitment and retention of postdocs from socioeconomically diverse backgrounds
- Social events to facilitate networking and community building among postdocs
- Support for departments and schools in recruitment efforts and HR/benefits issues
- Individual and group career counseling for postdocs in all fields
- Funding opportunities for travel, career development, and networking
- Assistance with onboarding and getting settled in the Charlottesville area
Please feel free to contact any of the staff listed below with any questions or suggestions for postdoctoral affairs at the University of Virginia.